Sunday, August 21, 2011

Making Do


I know it isn't Monday, that's tomorrow, but this make-do is actually a few weeks old, so I figured I might as well put it in here.

I had some little half-pint canning jars, and an awful lot of yarn.  But what was I going to do with them?  I went to Ravelry.com and searched around rather aimlessly for something I wanted to create.  That's when I found THIS.  The half-pint jars were going to be cake-in-a-jars for B, but I was never brave enough to try it out.  I know the recipes work great, but I was worried about the glass breaking on their way through the mail.  So, two of them got repurposed for the coffee station as cream and sugar canisters.  Two more got repurposed for salt and pepper shakers, and the rest got donated to the neighbor whose husband recently deployed so she could try the cake-in-a-jars for his birthday.  :-)

I also have baskets and such coming out my ears.  I've gotten rid of a ton of them over the years, but I still have quite a few, and I found some bar towels and dishrags on sale really cheap at Wal-mart one day while aimlessly wandering.  I decided that the bar towels and dishrags would make good napkins and quick clean up for spills since they're cotton, and really easy to care for.  I inherited a lot of paper towels from the neighbor when she moved out, but once they're gone, they're gone.  No more tossing pennies in the wastebasket.  Instead of tossing paper in the trash, we can toss these in with the laundry.  Besides, the basket is awful cute, and I sure would've hated to throw it out or put it in a yard sale :-P  lol



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, ideas, advice, recipes, suggestions - I'd love to hear from you.