Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pancake success!

I don't know why, but I find pancakes to be a really annoying food to cook.  I like them, but getting the texture just right is a pain in the butt, to me.  However!  These turned out really good.  I had a standard recipe for pancakes (using baking powder, baking soda, flour and milk), and I increased the flour and baking powder.  The resulting pancakes were a lot thicker and denser than usual.

The original recipe was:

1c All purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 c milk

My altered recipe used 1 & 1/2 c flour and 3 tsp baking powder.  I also added cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and allspice.

The batter was much thicker than the runny stuff the original recipe produced.

They also turned a really pretty brown, rather than the yellow/gold color pancakes normally are, simply because of the spices.

I had some leftover juice from sugared strawberries, and some leftover berry compote stuff from the berry turnover dumpling things I made right before we left for Georgia for B's block leave.  Naturally that stuff all went in the freezer, because I wasn't going to just toss it out.

I put the juice and the fruit compote together in a small pot and simmered it to thicken it up just a little.  It created a yummy, lumpy fruit syrup sort of something that I poured over the pancakes instead of pancake syrup.

B loved it.  I am not a huge pancake fan, but I gotta say, they were pretty good.  I don't know if they were as good as Sam's blueberry pancakes and blueberry syrup, but they were pretty darned good!

I froze the leftover pancakes and remaining syrup for a quick breakfast later when one or the other of us was running short on time.  Since I don't have a microwave, I'll have to lay them out on a cookie sheet and heat them in the oven, but they should turn out crispier than being zapped in the microwave.  I only have enough syrup left for one serving, but as we get fruit and don't manage to eat all of it before it starts to turn, I'll freeze it and use it to make more :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, ideas, advice, recipes, suggestions - I'd love to hear from you.