Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Belay that tedium, stern about and hoist sail for the open sea...



Sitting here at my desk, trying to work, wind pouring through the open window, and my attention wandering at every opportunity, I'm obviously not accomplishing as much as I ought.  I haven't even accomplished putting on real clothes.  I've been in my flannel PJ pants, squishy slippers, and a flannel shirt all day.  I should top it off with a lumpy knit beanie to cover up this psycho bed-head I've still got going on, because I'm not about to wet my hair and sit in this wind.  Yeah, yeah, I could close the windows, but I don't wanna!  It's a fabulous 66 degrees in my house right now (factor in wind chill and it's probably 63 or 64), and I don't really want to mess with that.  Besides, if I turned on the heat, I'd only set it for 65 or so anyway.

The wind is really something today.  Gusts up to 50 mph according to the weather warning I got today, holding steady between 26-36 mph.  If I close my eyes, the passing cars sound almost like rushing water.  The clanking gates (because it is absolutely pointless to try to keep closing them) slamming open and closed at will with a clank of metal and clunk of wood, the fabric of my curtains snapping with sharp cracks, or ruffling with soft woofs, the creaks and groans of trees, and the hooting whistling of wind through the drain pipes all make me think of ships underway.  Mainsails billowing out with bellies full of wind, the clanks, clunks, clinks, and groans of rope, wood, and pulleys.  I'd like to be in the tops,  wind and sky all around, like a bird with a foot stuck in a tether, soaring on the breeze but not quite able to cut loose and fly.

Of course, this could have something to do with the fact that during typing breaks, when I just can't sit here anymore, I sit outside and read:



It's a very good book, the sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamora.  This one is mostly pirates, though Locke and Jean are thieves of a different variety.  Quite accomplished thieves at that.  They have appeal in the same way that Robin Hood was appealing.  They have a code of conduct and moral right that they adhere to strongly, it's just a little bent from accepted norms in some aspects.

B's been gone since lunch.  He and Pup had to go meet with some Sgt Major about assignment to a unit, since they're currently without one.  Pup is scheduled for WLC at the end of the month, so they'll probably postpone his actual assignment until after he completes the program, but B should have some more solid information for himself by the time he gets home.  I sincerely hope that improves his mood.  He's been stumping around like Hagrid, alternately touchy and morose.  Ir's not done much for my mood either.  Pup and I have been tiptoeing around him or exchanging raised eyebrows in passing, but neither of us really know what to do to snap him out of it.  Maybe with some clear direction and a sense of what he's going to have to look forward to or at lest expect in the coming weeks will do something to put him back on course.  Right now, he's like a boat with sails up, but no one at the helm.

He was something close to excited, bordering on agitated, when he told me he had to go to this meeting this afternoon.  I really hope they give him something that makes him smile, though so far he's all Woot Woot! at the beginning of a new thing, or "I love that guy" when he get's a new person in his chain of command, but that quickly devolves into "bullshit" and "fuck him".  I told him to hope the best, and expect the worst, and hopefully he'd get a happy medium he could live with.

We'll see.  I guess I need to get back to work.  I've wasted a good hour.  Blah... maybe I'll just wander off for a hot back with my book so I can defrost my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, ideas, advice, recipes, suggestions - I'd love to hear from you.