Friday, October 14, 2011

Make do Mater Soup & Leftover Love

Fin and I have this bad habit of foodstorming.  It's like brainstorming with our bellies.  She usually starts it with "Oh! You know what sounds so good?", and it just snowballs madly.  The other day we were foodstorming early one morning.  We were missing winter and cold weather foods, and the subject of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup came up.

I didn't have any tomato soup, but I had
a big can of diced tomatoes,
a fresh tomato, some
tomato sauce, and some
tomato paste.  To which I added
minced garlic
basil
oregano
salt
pepper
chopped onion

I let it simmer until the onions started to get soft, then I scooped some out into the blender and pureed the chopped tomatoes.

The grilled cheeses were a random assortment of cheeses, because I almost never have yellow cheese in the house (that funky oil based stuff known as American Cheese is communally known as "yellow cheese").  We had mozzarella, pepper jack, provolone, and swiss grilled cheeses.  Totally awesome!

But there was a lot of leftover tomato soup, and Fin and I were foodstorming over dinner.  She suggested cheddar bay biscuits from Red Lobster, so I found a recipe.  It called for Bisquik.  I don't keep such blasphemy in my pantry, but she had some to donate.  She also brought over a big can of tomato soup and another small can of tomato sauce.  We dumped in the bag of leftover meatballs I had in my freezer, and man was that stuff good.  It was like a bowl of pizza.

We've got plans to use these leftovers, add noodles/pasta, and a layer of cheese on top and bake it into a baked spaghetti kind of thing.

I love foodstorming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, ideas, advice, recipes, suggestions - I'd love to hear from you.