Monday, October 24, 2011

Chicken Legs and Herb Roasted Tomatoes with Rice




This is another one of my menu selections for the month.  I've been silent on this for the past few days, because I'm not the only person who influences our diet.  Sometimes the Pup will order pizza, or Fin will invite us for a meal.  One night B actually had a specific request for Red Beans and Rice that I'd frozen a few weeks ago.

But, I'm back to using my little recipe do-jigger, and this is what I decided on last night.  It was simple to prep, and really cheap to make.  The chicken was only $1.10/lb, and I think the tomatoes were around $1.49/lb.  Rice is only a few cents per serving, and I always keep a cupboard full of herbs and spices.

I didn't follow either of these recipes exactly. Number one, fresh herbs don't keep.  If I toss half of what I buy because they wilt on me, what good is it doing me?  Yellow tomatoes are more expensive, and not very common where I normally shop.  I didn't feel like tracking them down due to time, frustration, and gas costs.  Besides, they don't taste all that different either.  And, instead of cooking the chicken under the broiler, I baked them at the same temperature as the tomatoes, turning them once halfway through when I put the tomatoes in to bake.  Everything finished at the same time, because I started the rice when I put the tomatoes in the oven.  I would suggest cooking the tomatoes a little longer, if you want them to be soft and smooshy all the way through.


Roasted Tomatoes w/Garlic & Herbs

Ingredients

  •  3 red tomatoes, halved
  •  3 yellow tomatoes, halved
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano      
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Preparation
·         1. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and place, cut side down, on a paper towel–lined plate. Let stand 30 minutes to drain.
·         2. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Mist a baking dish with cooking spray, then arrange tomato halves, cut side up, in a single layer in dish.
·         3. In a small bowl, combine herbs, shallot and garlic. Add pepper, to taste. Spread herb mixture evenly over tomatoes. Drizzle with oil.
4. Bake in oven until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove dish from oven, top with fresh basil and serve.


Broiled Drumsticks

Ingredients

·         8 chicken drumsticks
·         2 tablespoons unsalted butter
·         1 clove garlic, chopped
·         2 tablespoons lemon juice
·         Salt and pepper
Preparation
·         Position oven rack about 8 inches from heat source. Preheat broiler; line a broiling pan with foil. Pat drumsticks dry and trim off fat. Arrange in a single layer on prepared pan.
·         Melt butter with garlic and lemon juice over medium-low heat. Season drumsticks with salt and pepper. Brush each lightly with lemon butter.
Broil, turning often and brushing with lemon butter, until chicken is browned and crisp and has no traces of pink juices when pierced, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve drumsticks with dipping sauces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, ideas, advice, recipes, suggestions - I'd love to hear from you.