Sunday, October 16, 2011

Maple Glazed Ham



This actually was the scheduled menu for last night, but it was going to be paired with cauliflower carrot casserole.  I couldn't find cauliflower at Sam's, though, so I had to sub the side for something I did have on hand:  grits.  I was NOT going back out among the masses again yesterday.  I lost a whole day to shopping, and if you live on or near a military installation, and you have ever accidentally had to go shopping on one of the pay dates, then you know exactly what I was dealing with.  I usually try to do my shopping mid-pay period to avoid that mess, but I had enough to last and kept procrastinating.  That's what I get, huh?

So anyway, I found this recipe on a budget friendly recipe website.  It's so easy, anyone can do it.  And I mean anyone.

That's a center cut ham steak, bone in.  I got a package of four for $5, but a single steak is four servings.  They're cured, so they're fine in the fridge (unopened) for a few months.  If I decide I won't use them before December, I'll chuck them in the freezer.

You need:

center cut ham steak
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tsps dijon mustard.
1 Tbsp cider vinegar.

(note:  you wind up with way more glaze than ham to put it on.  The glaze would easily be enough for two or three ham steaks.  I'd suggest 2 Tbsp syrup, 1 tsp mustard, and 1.5 tsp vinegar if you're only doing one steak.)

Ok, that's what the recipe said I was supposed to use.  About the only thing I actually used from that recipe was the ham steak, because they're cheap.

I don't keep maple syrup.  The stuff is expensive, and I'm just as happy with Karo syrup or el-cheapo pancake syrup.  I used maple flavored pancake syrup.  You could probably use reduced fruit juice if that makes you happy, or flavored syrup (think orange glazed ham... yummy!!)

Again with the dijon mustard.  I used spicy brown mustard.  You could probably use yellow mustard and it wouldn't really change the taste much.  Not when you see exactly how much is going on the ham (not even a tsp, if I guessed right from how much mix I had leftover).

And cider vinegar.  I figured what was important here was the vinegar be flavorful and maybe sweet.  I wasn't going to buy cider vinegar just for one recipe.  I have rice vinegar (also sweet) that I use in a lot of the Asian recipes I make.  So, I used that instead.  I would bet that white vinegar would've worked, too, but might've given a little more twang to the glaze.  I went for sweet just to be safe.  You could probably use a vinaigrette to the same effect, because the vinegar just seemed to cut the syrup and mustard, and allow them to blend together.

Turn on your broiler.  Line your broiler pan with foil, and put the ham on it.  Glaze the ham with the mixture. Pop it in the broiler for a few minutes (it took mine 6) until the ham gets golden/brown spots on it and the glaze is bubbly.

Take it out, flip it over, glaze, put it back in for a few minutes, and you're done.  Bam! So easy.

For the grits, I made four servings (I think that's like 3/4 cup of grits and 3 cups of water, but don't quote me on that.  Check your label.)  But, I didn't use the full amount of water, because I wanted them thick.  They still didn't turn out as thick as I had hoped.  Better luck next time.

Then I put them in a pie pan, chopped a green onion into them, seasoned them with garlic, salt and pepper, then covered them with a thin layer of cheese, then popped them in the oven until the cheese was browned and bubbly.

Again, SO EASY!

I had about a single serving of ham left over and maybe 3/4 of a cup of grits.  Sounded like breakfast to me.

This morning, I pulled out 2 ramekins.  Chopped the ham covered it with grits and cracked two eggs on top of each.

I baked them in the oven at 350 till the eggs were almost set, then turned on the broiler and cooked the tops.  I was trying to get an over-easy egg without the frying part.  It mostly worked.  They were more over medium, but they were yummy.  I'm out of leftovers, though.  I think tonight is going to be French Onion Soup in Bread Bowls :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, ideas, advice, recipes, suggestions - I'd love to hear from you.